The mandate and authority of the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) is derived from the Nigerian Communications Act 2003 (NCA 2003), which was signed into law, after having been passed by both Houses of the National Assembly, by President Olusegun Obasanjo on July 8, 2003.
The NCA 2003 applies to the provision and use of all communications services and networks, in whole or in part within Nigeria or on ships or aircraft registered in Nigeria, and was passed to meet the following objectives;
- Promote the implementation of the national communications or, telecommunications policy as may from time to time be modified and amended ;
- Establish a regulatory framework for the Nigerian communications industry and for this purpose to create an effective, impartial and independent regulatory authority ;
- Promote the, provision of modem, universal, efficient, reliable, affordable and easily accessible communications services and the widest range thereof throughout Nigeria ;
- Encourage local and foreign investments in the Nigerian communications industry and the introduction of innovative services and practices in the industry in accordance with international best practices and trends ;
- Ensure fair competition ill all sectors of the Nigerian communications industry and also encourage participation of Nigerians in the ownership, control and management of communications companies and organisations ;
- Encourage the development of a communications manufacturing and supply sector within the Nigerian economy and also encourage effective research and development efforts by all communications industry practitioners ;
- Protect the rights and interest of service providers and consumers within Nigeria ;
- Ensure that the needs of the disabled and elderly persons are taken into consideration in the provision of communications services ; and
- Ensure an efficient management including planning, coordination, allocation, assignment, registration, monitoring and use of scarce national resources in the communications sub-sector, including but not limited to frequency spectrum, numbers and electronic addresses, and also promote and safeguard national interests, safety and security in the use of the said scarce national resources.
To download a copy of the Nigerian Communications Act 2003, please click on the following link;
pdf The Nigerian Communications Act 2003 (176 KB)
To view the NCA 2003 on this page, click the following link; The Nigerian Communications Act 2003