The mandatory implementation of the ‘Do-Not- Disturb’ code by the telecoms operators takes effect from today. The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) had few months ago given all the telecoms operators in the country up to June 30 to switch on the 2442 code to allow any subscriber who does not want to receive unwanted messages from the operators bar such messages. NCC’s Executive Vice Chairman, Prof Umar Danbatta, had told the operators in Abuja that effective date for compliance remained today. He said huge sanctions awaited any operator that failed to comply with the directive after today. He said NCC would work tirelessly to put in place various strategies and policies that would enable it make the operators answerable to all their misdeeds. Daily Trust reports that MTN Nigeria is the only operator that has so far complied with the new directive. Yesterday, the telco sent SMS to most of its customers to join the Do-Not-Disturb list if they do not want to receive unwanted campaign or marketing messages. Efforts to get spokesmen of other operators yesterday proved abortive, but the Chairman of the Association of Licensed Telecommunications Operators of Nigeria (ALTON) Engr. Gbenga Adebayo had told journalists in Abuja recently that all their members would abide by the NCC directive on the 2442 code.
DAILY TRUST PG.13 (FRIDAY, JULY 1, 2016)