The Nigerian Communication Commission, the Regulator of the telecommunication industry in Nigeria, supports amongst other things, telecommunications-based innovations, inventions and research from tertiary institutions in the country that are practical, locally realizable and have clear potential of developing the telecommunications industry.
Pursuant to this objective, the Commission invites proposals from Academics in tertiary institutions that have feasible research ideas, capable of replacing or enhancing foreign technologies in the telecommunications industry in Nigeria. It is envisaged that the initiative will help build capacity in the tertiary institutions and promote Nigeria's contribution to the pool of technologies in use in the communications industry.
Interested researchers are invited to submit their proposals which must:
- Come from teaching Academics in Nigeria's tertiary institutions;
- Have a one-page executive summary of the research proposal to include relevance of the research to the telecommunications industry, deliverables, Novelty of Concept, Methodology, team experience Project timeline and
- Detailed cost schedule.
The criteria for the evaluation of the research submissions include the following:
- Adherence of proposal to stated reqL:Jirements above.
- Novelty of the research proposal (comprehensive literature review to bring out clearly the novelty of the research).
- Clear statement and explanation of the problem.
- Proposed solution to the problem.
- Proposed approach and methodology.
- Each project including prototype development must be concluded within 2 years.
- The project cost should not exceed a maximum of tl-llrteen million naira (N13,000,000.OO) only. (The Commission reserves the right to review this maximum amount).
- Any Academic with a yet to be completed Research project with the Commission SHOULD NOT apply.
- Total cost (including all costs} of the project must be clearly stated and broken down in details. for which there can be no variation.
- Proof of concept (feasibility of ideo with diagram, algorithm, etc.).
- Clear relevance to the telecommunications industry.
- Evidence of local realization up to prototype.
- Cost reasonableness (cost of actualizing the ideo including hardware and software requirements but excluding purchase of Vehicles. Furniture or Internet do to. Foreign Trips and allowances}.
- Schedule of project organization.
- Coherent presentation/packaging of concept. Integration of research with education (capacity building of students via the implementation of the project in the institution).
- Allowance for Researchers should not exceed 20% of cost of actually doing the research.
- Evidence of competence of Team in executing the project (include past work and CVs of team members).
Submission of Proposal
Submission will undergo preliminary assessment. The proposals that are adjudged promising and capable of developing the telecommunications industry will be further evaluated by another level of assessors. Sponsors/authors of research submissions may be invited for defense of their proposals before a decision is taken on whether the Commission will fund their project(s) or not.
The Executive Vice Chairman/CEO,
Nigerian Communications Commission,
Plot 423, Aguiyi lronsi Street,
ATTN: Director, Research and Development
Please note that any proposal submitted after the deadline will be rejected automatically.